SALT LAKE CITY – Six athletes with ties to the Utah Ski Team are expected to compete at the 2024 FIS Nordic World Junior and U-23 Ski Championships, scheduled for February 5-11 in Planica, Slovenia.
The announcement comes on the heels of Jay Poulter’s selection to represent the United States at the FIS Alpine Junior World Ski Championships, which begin on January 28 in France.
The U-23 Nordic group includes the current Utah connections of Brian Bushey and Walker Hall representing the United States, plus Joe Davies with Great Britain. Utah Ski Team alumna Novie McCabe is also part of the Team USA contingent. Named to the United States’ World Juniors team from the Utes are Zachary Jayne and Nina Schamberger.
Sydney Palmer-Leger also qualified for the U-23 Championships, but respectfully declined in order to focus on World Cup racing.
Quick hits are below on each Utah connection expected to compete at the Nordic U-23 and World Junior Championships. Fans can keep up with members of the Utah Ski Team while abroad—both for alpine and Nordic competition—by following the @utahskiteam social media accounts.
Brian Bushey – United States – U-23 World Championships
- Named All-RMISA Second Team during the 2023 collegiate season.
- Earned his first two RMISA podiums this month, including a 7.5K freestyle victory at the Utah Invitational.
- Started all 12 regular season races as a sophomore in 2023, earning nine top-10 finishes and four in the top-five.
- Debuted with the Utes in 2022, starting eight races with five top-10 finishes and one fifth-place effort.
Joe Davies – Great Britain – U-23 World Championships
- Debuted with the Utah Ski Team in 2024, after skiing the 2022 and ’23 collegiate seasons at Alaska Fairbanks.
- All four of his starts this season have been top-10 finishes, including a 10K classic pursuit victory at the Utah Invitational.
- Two-time All-RMISA Second Team (2022, ’23)
- Was the 2023 NCAA Individual Champion in men’s 10K freestyle and named First Team All-America as a result.
- Had a pair of top-15 finishes at the 2023 U-23 World Championships, including the 20K classic (15th) and 10K freestyle (13th).
Walker Hall – United States – U-23 World Championships
- Two-time All-RMISA Second Team honoree (2022, ’23).
- Earned his first NCAA All-America citation in 2023 (10K freestyle).
- Started all 14 races during the 2023 collegiate season, notching six results in the top-five and four podiums.
- All five of his collegiate starts in 2024 have been top-10 finishes, including a top-five classic sprints result on January 7.
Zachary Jayne – United States – World Junior Championships
- Joined the Utes after spending the 2023 collegiate season at the College of St. Scholastica, where Jayne was an NCAA Championships qualifier.
- Has started all five RMISA races with the Utes this season, including his last three with top-15 finishes.
- At College of St. Scholastica, had five finishes in the top-five and three podiums.
- NCAA Central Region Champion in the 20K classic and finished third in the 10K freestyle.
Novie McCabe – United States – U-23 World Championships
- Skied three seasons with the Utes (2021-23), winning 19 races including her final five starts.
- Swept the 2023 NCAA women’s Nordic individual championships and also took the 5K classic crown in 2022.
- A six-time NCAA All-American, earning the honor in each of her starts at the NCAA Championships.
- Represented the United States during the 2022 Winter Olympics.
- Named USCSCA National Women’s Nordic Skier of the Year (2022) and RMISA Women’s Freestyle MVP (2023).
- Made three starts at the 2023 U-23 World Championships, including a seventh-place effort in the 10K freestyle.
Nina Schamberger – United States – World Junior Championships
- True freshman joined the Utah Ski Team this season after competing with Summit Nordic Ski Club in Colorado.
- Top-10 finishes in all four starts as a Ute, including a junior podium in the freestyle sprints at U.S. Nationals.
- Made two starts at the 2023 World Junior Championships, with a top-20 in the classic sprints.
- Also raced at Junior Worlds in 2022, where Schamberger was part of a fifth-place U.S. relay team that included Utah teammate Sydney Palmer-Leger.
Follow the Utah Ski Team
Follow the Utes on social media (@utahskiteam).